Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Idea for final project

For my final project, I like the idea of writing about human rights crises in the world. I seem to be magnetically drawn to writing about global crises and human rights issues. I have written about workers' rights in Dubai, womens' rights in Saudi Arabia, the current violence and grass roots peace efforts in Colombia, the current humanitarian crisis in Burma, reconciliation efforts in Rwanda, and the current crisis in Darfur.

I think it will be interesting, given the focus of this class, to (as Dr. T suggested) examine the ways in which increased accessibility and use of the internet, and wider modes of media over the internet has affected global awareness of particular global humanitarian disasters. Instead of looking at just one region or country, I would like to look at a number of different cases, including Darfur (because it is an excellent example of how the internet has been used en masse to reach a global audience and garner solidarity and support for the victims as well as working to influence change) as well as Tibet, and Burma.

No comments: