Monday, April 7, 2008

Response to group projects

There were about three projects that really caught my attention during our group project show last Thursday. Tammy and Alyse's project was one of these three, and since they both volunteered for Camile and my interviews and were subsequent inspirations for two of our fairy tale characters, it seemed fitting to review their project. Somehow this seems to let things come full circle.

One of the things I really liked about Tammy and Alyse's project, "What is Love," was that each of their voices was distinctly present within the work as a whole. While this aspect is inherent to the particular structure of their project, it still bears mention since being able to clearly identify two distinct trains of thought within the work added, I think, to the personality of the piece, adding extra layers to it. By adding extra layers, I mean that not only was their a flash fictional work, which did indeed create imagery and evoke emotion that lingered long after the story itself was over, but there was also a completely separate--yet relevant and connected--dialog occurring in which I as the reader was able to hear both Tammy and Alyse's voices and to understand each of their understandings of the text. In this context, I like that way that Tammy apparently had not been briefed by Alyse on the work she was writing ahead of time, as this would have spoiled the very realistic process of reader reaction and author answer that is documented within their "conversation." Moreover, I liked the way that the stucture lent itself fluidly to a natural explanation of the text. Having an explanation from Alyse, the author was useful, and yet they allowed this explanation to necessarily be displayed in a non -self aggrandizing, non-self righteous way. The author is not setting out a forced interpretation on the reader.

I also like the way that the text can be read in several different ways, which all will influence the way the reader will initially understand the work as a whole. This means that some readers will not go through the reading experience that Tammy went through, as she had only one choice in reading. I chose to read through the flash fiction first, then proceeded to clicking on each of the hyperlinked lines in the text to read Tammy's comments, along with Alyse's responses to them. I usually went back to the text to read the next hyperliked line, but in some cases I would link over to Tammy's full commentary. I never found the jumping back and forth impeding or inconvenient. Rather, I enjoyed the span and webbing of the work and the chance to get a glimpse into the minds of each of the writers.

In addition, I liked the way that

No comments: